The BJP leader said that Nitish Kumar is a mature politician, he takes any political decision very thoughtfully. Given his and his party’s position in Bihar at the moment, it does not look like they can decide to secede from the NDA. He also said that if Nitish Kumar takes this decision in the current situation, he will drown himself and the party too, so he will take such a step, it is not even remotely possible.
When JDU leaders were asked this question, they said they were not allowed to say anything on behalf of the party. However, he categorically said off-camera that in the current political scenario, there is no scope for Nitish Kumar to take any step on the issue of forming a third front. His party’s alliance with the BJP is going well and the present government will complete its full five-year term.
Why won’t Nitish Kumar leave NDA?
1. Being the presidential candidate from the opposition means that Nitish Kumar’s party will split from the NDA. If Nitish Kumar becomes the presidential candidate, it is certain that he will overthrow the BJP government in Bihar with 74 seats. In such a scenario, if the JDU wants to stay in government, it will have to support the 75-seat RJD. With the decision to make Tejaswi Yadav Chief Minister, there is no possibility of RJD supporting Tejaswi Yadav in Bihar. Not only that, Nitish Kumar is not likely to leave the CM’s chair and risk putting Tejaswi Yadav on it.
2. The second biggest question is what will happen to his party if Nitish Kumar tries to form a third front. Because in the 2020 Bihar Assembly elections, the JDU had to settle for just 43 seats. After this, the BJP’s state unit was demanding its own chief minister. Due to the intervention of BJP central leaders, Nitish Kumar has got the Chief Minister’s chair. In such a scenario, if Nitish takes a risk like the Third Front, the big question is what will happen to the existence of his party.
3. In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Nitish Kumar had projected himself for the post of Prime Minister. He called himself a good face against Narendra Modi. But the people of Bihar rejected his statement outright. Despite being in power in Bihar, Nitish Kumar’s party managed to win only 2 Lok Sabha seats. When Nitish Kumar rejoined the NDA in 2017, he said that Narendra Modi is currently the biggest leader in the country.
4. In the year 2021, senior JDU leader Upendra Kushwaha started describing Nitish Kumar as the material for the post of Prime Minister. After this, Nitish Kumar himself called this statement baseless. Nitish Kumar’s statements made it clear that he was not likely to leave the NDA.
5. Several RJD leaders, including Lalu Prasad Yadav, have from time to time offered Nitish Kumar the face of the Opposition in Center politics. Nitish Kumar has always turned down these offers. Not only that, he has always said that the idea of a front in a non-BJP, non-Congress country is a figment of imagination. Apart from this, if Nitish takes the risk of running for the presidency, he will have to relinquish the Bihar CM’s chair. The next question is whether he will become president, but before that, he will have to relinquish the chief minister’s chair almost two years before 2025.
It may be mentioned here that after the 2020 Bihar Assembly elections, there was talk that the BJP had offered Nitish Kumar the post of Vice President and in return there was talk of removing him from the Chief Minister’s chair in Bihar, but he may have turned it down. The offer was made. That is why there has been a lot of talk in the past, but Nitish Kumar remains in party politics. Looking at all this, one can guess whether Nitish Kumar will be the Opposition’s presidential candidate.